LAGOS STATE UNIVERSITY (LASU) RECEIVES APPROVAL FOR 20 NEW UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAMMES.
- Lagos State University (LASU) has received approval from the National Universities Commission (NUC) to commence twenty new undergraduate programmes. The approval, marking a major milestone for the institution, includes courses such as Architecture, Estate Management, Industrial Engineering, Radiography, and Civil Engineering. This achievement follows a resource verification exercise conducted by the NUC and aligns with LASU’s strategic goals. The programmes, which will be housed in four new faculties, are set to start full-time from the 2023/2024 academic session.
In a landmark development, the Lagos State University (LASU) has announced that the National Universities Commission (NUC) has granted approval for the commencement of twenty (20) new programmes at the undergraduate level. This significant achievement, which saw 100% of the programmes submitted by the university approved, is a feat unparalleled in the history of LASU.
The 20-Programme Gamut: Expanding Opportunities and Fostering Excellence
The newly approved programmes showcase a broad spectrum of academic fields, ensuring that LASU continues to cultivate well-rounded, industry-ready graduates. The programmes include:
- B.Sc. Architecture, Building, Estate Management, Environmental Management, Industrial Design, Survey and Geo-Informatics, Quantity Surveying, Urban and Regional Planning, and Taxation.
- B.A. Fine Arts and Linguistics.
- B.LIS. Library and Information Science.
- B.Ed. Special Education.
- B.Eng. Industrial Engineering & Production and Civil Engineering.
- B.Sc. Science Laboratory Technology.
- BMLS. Medical Laboratory Science.
- B. Radiography and Radiation Science.
- In addition to these, the undergraduate level will also host Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D) and Doctor of Physiotherapy (DPT) programmes.
These programmes were given the green light after a resource verification exercise carried out in April this year. The NUC dispatched panels of experts to evaluate the university’s preparedness to host the twenty new programmes, which are to be held in the four newly established faculties and school.
A Testament to Leadership: Recognising the Commitment of the University Administration
The NUC’s approval, as detailed in a letter received by the university on Friday, 7th July 2023, states that these programmes will commence full-time operations from the 2023/2024 academic session.
This milestone stands as a testament to the leadership of the university’s current administration under the stewardship of Prof. Ibiyemi Ibilola Olatunji-Bello, mni, NPOM. It marks the fruition of one of the strategic goals of her administration – to establish and commence new academic programmes in the recently introduced faculties and school within the university. These include the Faculty of Pharmacy, Faculty of Allied Health Sciences, Faculty of Environmental Sciences, and School of Library, Archival and Information Science.
The Vice-Chancellor, reacting to this monumental achievement, expressed gratitude towards the Governor of Lagos State and Visitor to the University, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu. She recognised his leadership and support in actualising this goal, and extended heartfelt congratulations to the entire university community for this shared success.
Charting a Future of Academic Excellence: What This Means for LASU
With the NUC’s endorsement, LASU expands its academic repertoire and further cements its position as a leader in providing high-quality tertiary education. The new programmes will enrich the educational landscape and afford students the opportunity to explore diverse fields, paving the way for a future teeming with excellence.
This historic moment underscores the university’s commitment to pioneering innovation in education and highlights its dedication to nurturing an academically dynamic environment. With LASU at the helm, students can expect a future filled with boundless opportunities, enriched learning experiences, and an even stronger commitment to fostering academic brilliance.